Requirements and procedures to change one's surname [IND31316.E]

The Consular Section of the Embassy of India in Washington, DC, provides on its Website the following information for changing one's name:

14. CHANGE OF NAME: For change of name or surname, consequent to marriage/divorce, please submit original marriage certificate, along with photocopy and husband's passport are also required.
15. In all other cases of change of name/surname, in the passport, the change has first to be advertised in a daily newspaper, both in U.S.A. and India (circulation in the area of your permanent and present residence). Original newspaper clippings are required to be submitted. An affidavit, duly notarized, is also required. Request for change of name for any other purpose is not normally entertained. Service is provided after a waiting period of 30 days from the date of publication of advertisement in the newspaper.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of India. n.d.

General Information on Passport and Consular Services.

Additional Sources Consulted

Electronic sources: Internet, IRB Databases, WNC.

Non-documentary sources:

Unsuccessful attempts to contact the High Commission for the Republic of India, Ottawa.