Requirements to obtain a passport for and travel abroad with a minor (2001-April 2002) [MEX38430.E]

MEX24736.E of 28 August 1996 contains information on the documents needed when a minor travels abroad unaccompanied or with one parent. In a 9 April 2002 telephone interview, a representative of the consular section of the Embassy of the United States of Mexico in Ottawa confirmed that the information in that Response is still valid.

For a child to obtain a passport, the permission of both parents is still needed (ibid.). If a parent has obtained sole custody of the child in the case of divorce, that parent may apply for a passport without the consent of the other parent (ibid.). Documentation proving the custodial decision would have to be presented when applying for the passport (ibid.). When a parent does not provide his or her permission and the custody of the child is shared, the parent wishing to obtain a passport must get permission from a judge to do so (ibid.). These requirements are outlined in Mexico's civil code (ibid.).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the United States of Mexico. 9 April 2002. Telephone interview with consular representative.

Verknüpfte Dokumente