Possibility of regaining Chinese citizenship after having become a citizen of another state (follow-up to CHN36497.E of 26 February 2001) [CHN37613.E]

On 31 July 2001 an official at the Embassy of China in Ottawa stated that if a person who lost his or her Chinese citizenship as a result of obtaining citizenship in another state wishes to reacquire his or her Chinese citizenship, he or she must first renounce his or her other citizenship. The person must then provide documentary evidence issued by the competent authority in the state of which he or she had been a citizen to the effect that the person is no longer a citizen of that state. The official stated that this procedure is very unusual, and he was unable to state how long it would take. The official added that the application for reacquisition of citizenship must be done through the office of the Ministry of Public Security in the place in China where the person had resided before becoming a citizen of another state

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Embassy of China, Ottawa. 31 July 2001. Telephone interview with an official.

Additional Sources Consulted


IRB databases


Letter to Canada's mission in Beijing