Information on any restrictions on a parent taking minor children out of the country without the other parent (follow-up to PAK36424.E of 22 March 2001) [PAK37747.E]

On 20 June 2001 an official at the High Commission of Pakistan in Ottawa stated the following:

[i]n Pakistan, by law, no permission is required for a spouse to leave the country with children, if the wife and husband are living together. However, in case of separation, the mother is the natural guardian for the son up to the age of seven (7) and for the daughter up to the age of puberty. In case a suit has been filed in a court of law for the custody of the children, then [neither parent can] remove the children outside the territorial jurisdiction of the court, without its permission.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


High Commission for Pakistan, Ottawa. 20 June 2001. Correspondence.