Information on the C-1/D visa [USA17535.E]

An official at the visa section of the Embassy of the United States of America in Ottawa stated that C-1/D visas are transit visas issued to foreign crew members who must cross the territory of the United States in order to reach their ship or aircraft (31 May 1994). The official stated that a C-1/D visa would, for example, allow a Norwegian ship's purser to fly to New York, take a connecting flight to Miami and travel to the city's port in order to board his ship (ibid.).

The official stated that C-1/D visas are issued at US missions worldwide and that they can be issued to individuals of any nationality (ibid.). She added that C-1 transit visas are issued to ordinary foreign nationals travelling across the United States, while C-1/D transit visas are issued only to foreign crew members (ibid.).

This response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the DIRB within time constraints. This response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the United States of America, Ottawa. 31 May 1994. Telephone interview with official in visa section.