Chile: Rights and obligations of permanent residents; instances under which permanent residence is lost

Research Directorate, Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Ottawa

1. Rights and Obligations

The website of the Department of Immigration (Departamento de Extranjería y Migración) indicates that permanent residence (Permanencia Definitiva) is a permit issued to foreigners allowing them to reside indefinitely in Chile and to perform any lawful activity (Chile n.d.a). The same source further indicates that once the permit for permanent residence is granted, the foreigner has 30 days to register the permit at the National Headquarters of Foreign Affairs and International Police (Jefatura Nacional de Extranjería y Policía Internacional), or at the Police, if the previous service is not available at the place where the foreigner lives; and, to apply for a Foreigners' Identity Card at the Civil Registry and Identification Service (Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación) (ibid. n.d.b).

According to the website of the Department of Immigration, the permanent resident must personally inform the [translation] "competent authority" of any changes of address or activities within 30 days (ibid.). In cases of change of address, it must be reported to the "competent authority" located in the new place of residence (ibid.).

2. Loss of Permanent Residence

The website of the Chilean Department of Immigration provides the information contained in the following paragraph:

The permanent residence permit will be automatically revoked if the individual spends an uninterrupted period of more than one year outside of Chile. Foreign Service (Consular) officials can prolong the validity of the permit if a permanent resident is unable to return to Chile during the year for "justified reasons," including study or illness. The extension is stamped on the Permanent Residence Certificate (Certificado de Permanencia Definitiva) and must be requested within the 60 days prior to the expiration of the one-year period. A maximum of four consecutive extensions can be granted for the permanent residence permit, and each extension is valid for one year. Once an extension expires, and if a new one is not obtained, permanent residence status will be automatically revoked if the permanent resident continues to remain outside the country (Chile n.d.b).

The Department of Immigration website also indicates that the permanent resident can contact the Provincial Government (Gobernación Provincial) corresponding to their place of residence, or the Department of Immigration of the Regional Metropolitan Administrative Division (Departamento de Extranjería de la Intendencia Regional Metropolitana) in Santiago de Chile (ibid.)

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim for refugee protection. Please find below the list of sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Chile. N.d.a. Departemento de Extranjería y Migración, Ministerio del Interior y Seguridad Pública. "Permanencia definitiva." [Accessed 20 Jan. 2017]

Chile. N.d.b. Departemento dor Extranjería y Migración, Ministerio del Interior y Seguridad Pública. "Advertencia." [Accessed 20 Jan. 2017]

Additional Sources Consulted

Oral sources: Chile - Embassy in Ottawa.

Internet sites, including: Chile – Bibioteca del Congreso Nacional de Chile, Embajada de Chile en Canadá, Ministerio de Vivienda y Urbanismo.

Verknüpfte Dokumente