Whether an Imam, the police or the state can take a child into custody if a parent converts from Islam to another faith. [MYS38101.E]

No information on state or religious intervention in cases of the conversion of a parent could be found among sources consulted by the Research Directorate.

A representative of the Society for Christian Reflection in Malaysia states that custody of any child of a converted parent would be automatically awarded to the other parent, if that parent is Muslim (29 Nov. 2001). In cases of both parents converting, or of only one parent being available to the child, the representative explained that proselytizing of a Muslim is illegal; the child's faith would therefore be at risk, and the authorities could, depending on the state involved, be seen to intervene (ibid.).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Society for Christian Reflection. 29 November 2001. Telephone interview and correspondence with representative.

Additional Sources Consulted

IRB Databases


World News Connection

Internet sites including:

American Center for Law and Justice

Amnesty International


Barnabus Fund

BBC News

Far Eastern Economic Review

International Christian Coalition

International Coalition for Religious Freedom

Human Rights Watch

U.S. Department of State

World Corporal Punishment Research

World Evangelical Alliance