Rights conferred upon the bearer of a "Travel Document" issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs [NPL31928.E]

Australian Refugee Review Tribunal information request #CX13411 of 3 July 1995 states that:

Our UNHCR contact has advised us that the GON [Government of Nepal] does provide travel documents for Tibetan refugees. In the past it was simply an A4 sized document on government letterhead which contained the holder's photo and personal details. Since 1989 the document has been in the form of a grey folded card. Documents are currently issued by the Department of Immigration. (Prior to 1989 they were issued by the Foreign Ministry on the recommendation of the Home Ministry).

In a telephone interview with the Research Directorate, a consular official at the Embassy of the Kingdom of Nepal stated in a telephone interview that the "Travel Document" is issued to refugees for use in foreign travel and does not confer any special rights within Nepal (6 May 1999). The consular official further stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is once again issuing Travel Documents in the A4 sized document format (ibid.).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the Kingdom of Nepal, Washington, DC. 6 May 1999. Telephone interview with consular official.

Refugee Review Tribunal (RRT), Australia. 3 July 1995. Information Request #CX13411. (CISNET)