Whether the consent of the non-custodial parent was required to take a child out of the country in May 1998, documentation required and applicable legislative provision [KGT32521.E]

The Consul at the Embassy of the Kyrgyz Republic in Washington, DC stated in a 23 August 1999 telephone interview that, under the Kyrgyz Code on Marriage and the Family, the custodial parent is required to obtain written permission from the non-custodial parent to take a child out of the country. However, the necessary verifications at the point of departure often do not take place. The Consul further stated that he could not provide the Research Directorate with the applicable legislative provision.

The applicable legislative provision in the Kyrgyz Code on Marriage and the Family could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Embassy of the Kyrghyz Republic, Washington, DC. 23 August 1999. Telephone Interview with the Consul.

Additional Sources Consulted

Electronic sources: Internet, WNC.

Foreign and International Law. Washburn University School of Law Library. Topeka, Kansas.

Foreign and International Law Resources on the Internet: Annotated Cornell Law Library

Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR)

United Nations Development Program, Kyrgyzstan. Women's rights.