RFE/RL – Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (Author)
Ehsun Abbaspour, the governor of the city of Abadan, cited the new figure in an interview with the state news agency IRNA on June 6.
"Efforts are continuing to find other possible bodies under the rubble by the emergency crews present at the site," Abbaspour said.
Iranian officials have not said how many people are still considered missing in the accident.
Thirty-seven people were injured when the 10-story residential and commercial building collapsed.
Authorities have blamed the collapse of the building on local corruption and lax safety and say 13 people, including mayors and other officials, have so far been arrested for construction violations.
Protesters have been gathering at the scene of the disaster, denouncing officials and calling for accountability. The authorities have reportedly restricted Internet access in the area to prevent locals from sharing videos or communicating with one another.
President Ebrahim Raisi made a surprise visit to the city on June 3, offering his condolences to relatives of victims. Raisi vowed that the government would “deal with the offenders” and “monitor construction more closely” in the future.
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei mentioned the incident in a speech on June 4, saying “those responsible must be brought to justice.”
Copyright (c) 2010-2020. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.