Belarusian Fashion Designer Goes On Trial
Varlamau is the director of Sasha Varlamau Fashion School and former head of the Fashion Mill festival, the central event in Belarus in the realm of design and fashion.
Varlamau has been held in custody since his arrest in May 2011.
He was charged with large-scale fraud, large-scale embezzlement, appropriation of property, tax evasion, and abuse of office.
Investigators say the damage caused by his actions exceeded 1.2 billion Belarusian rubles ($133,000).
During the opening hearing, the Lenin district court rejected a demand that Varlamau, who claims he is suffering from a deteriorating spinal condition, be released on his own recognizance.
He was also refused permission to receive magnetic-resonance therapy.
Based on reporting by Belapan and RFE/RL's Belarus Service
- Putinism In Winter
- Georgian PM Criticizes Saakashvili, Pledges To Restore Russian Relations
- U.S. Families Rejoice As Some Pending Adoptions From Russia Go Through
- Born In An Iranian Prison -- And Into A Lifetime Of Consequences
- Former Tajik PM Detained In Ukraine
- Klitschko, Allies Get Physical In Ukrainian Parliament
- Looming Tobacco Crackdown Has Russian Smokers Fuming
- Report Says 54 Countries Offered Rendition Support
- Russian Soldiers Complain Of Maggot-Infested Food
- Interview: Kosovo President On 'Symbolic But Important' Talks With Serbian Counterpart
- Interview: Levinson Lawyer Urges Iran To Investigate Local Contact
- Romanian Campaign Hits Back At Negative British Ads
- U.S. Photographer Captures 'Central Asian Metaphor' For Life
- Putin's Little Helper
- How Secure Is Skype?
- Putinism In Winter
- Authoritarian Leaders Embrace Social Media
- Analysts Say Tehran Cloaking Truth In Claims Of New Stealth Fighter Jet
- Azerbaijan's Hot January: Unusually Bold Protests Challenge Government
- Ukrainian Teen's 'Monster' Sighting Leads To Unique Undersea Video
- Romanian Campaign Hits Back At Negative British Ads (32)
- Azeri Author Sends Unpopular Message To Armenians: 'We Can Live Together' (19)
- After Auschwitz Visit, Russian Sisters Know What 'Holocaust' Means (13)
- Gakayev Deaths Leave One Campfire Less In Chechen Mountains (10)
- Zhirinovsky Pelted With Sour Cabbage In Kyiv (9)