Documentation required and procedures to be followed by a parent wishing to travel abroad with a minor child in the absence, or without the consent, of the second parent (2003-July 2005) [HND100449.E]

The Embassy of Honduras in Canada Website states that in order to obtain authorization for a minor to exit the country, an applicant must provide an authorization letter (carta de autorizacion) from both parents and documentation supporting the claim that they are the parents of the minor (Honduras n.d.). In addition, documentation regarding the minor, such as his or her birth certificate, is required (ibid.). Moreover, the procedure to obtain authorization must be conducted in person in the presence of a consular official (ibid.).

The preceding information was partially corroborated by United States (US) (24 Feb. 2005) and Canada (18 July 2005) government Websites addressing international travel procedures for Honduras. A consular information sheet on Honduras, published in February 2005 by the United States Department of State, outlines exit/entry requirements for minors and notes that "[i]n cases where one parent has sole custody, the custodial parent must submit the custody decree to Honduran immigration upon departure" (24 Feb. 2005).

The entry/exit requirements section of the travel report on Honduras found on the Foreign Affairs Canada Website mentions that

[a]ny adult travelling with children may be required to show evidence of parental/custodial and/or access rights. Foreign and Canadian authorities may also require evidence that the adult has the consent of the parents, legal guardian, and/or the court to travel with the children (Canada 18 July 2005).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim for refugee protection. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Canada. 18 July 2005. Foreign Affairs Canada. "Travel Report: Honduras." [Accessed 29 July 2005]

Honduras. N.d. Embajada de Honduras en Canada. "Autorizacion de Salida del Pais a Menores." [Accessed 29 July 2005]

United States (US). 24 February 2005. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs. "Consular Infromation Sheet: Honduras." [Accessed 29 July 2005]

Additional Sources Consulted

Internet sites, including: Embassy of Honduras in Washington, DC, Presidencia de la Republica de Honduras, Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores de Honduras.