Whether an agent of the state, such as a police officer, can force a woman to divorce her husband [DJI33104.E]

A lawyer who practises in Djibouti and is a member of the Djibouti Bar Association told the Research Directorate that a representative of the state in Djibouti, such as a police officer, cannot force a woman to divorce her husband (9 Nov. 1999). Matters related to personal status in Djibouti, including marriage and divorce, are the exclusive domain of the Islamic religious courts (9 Nov. 1999).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Lawyer and member of the Djibouti Bar Association. 9 November, 1999. Telephone interview.

Additional Sources Consulted

Electronic sources: IRB databases; LEXIS/NEXIS, WNC;

Internet sites, including:

Index de Djibouti

Association pour le Respect des Droits de l'Homme à Djibouti