Information on the laws, restrictions and obligations imposed on a parent who wishes to travel abroad along with a minor [KKT22484.E]

A representative of the Kazakh embassy in Washington, DC, provided the following information on the above subject during a telephone interview on 25 January 1996.

A Kazakh parent who wishes to travel abroad along with his/her underaged child must have a valid Kazakh passport. Underaged children are not usually issued separate passports. Information regarding children is written in the passport of either parent; the child's photograph is also placed in the parent's passport. Separate passports are issued to underaged children in exceptional cases; for example, when a child needs immediate medical treatment abroad, but his/her parents cannot travel with the child.

In addition to a valid Kazakh passport, a parent travelling abroad with an underaged child must prove the consent of the other parent regarding the child's travelling. For this matter, a power of attorney produced in a Kazakh public notary is required.

As a rule, there are no further requirements regarding an underaged child travelling abroad. However, it is possible that in certain cases the Kazakh authorities impose additional requirements. This could happen when they suspect that a parent wants to take his/her child abroad for the purpose of adoption, for example. The specifics of each case determine whether additional requirements need be imposed.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the DIRB within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Washington, DC. 25 January 1996. Telephone interview with representative.