The Aufenthaltstitel (permanent resident visa), and whether or not holders of such permits are allowed to exit and re-enter Austria without losing the rights associated with it [AUT34190.E]

An official at the Embassy of the Republic of Austria in Ottawa stated in a letter that:

An "Aufenthaltstitel" (residence permit) entitles a foreigner to reside in Austria as long as it is valid.
In case of students and people who work in Austria the permit is usually valid as long as the university course or work permit lasts. It requires a letter of acceptance or work permit prior to obtaining the residence permit (5 Apr. 2000a).
In case of the "unbefristete Aufenthaltserlaubnis" the permit is unlimited.

Regarding exit and re-entry, the official stated that holders of the Aufenthaltstitel can freely exit and re-enter Austria as often as they want while the permit is valid (5 Apr. 2000b).

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the Republic of Austria, Ottawa. 5 April 2000a. Correspondence.

_____. 5 April 2000b. Telephone interview.