Whether a foreigner, after legally residing in Chile for five years, has to have formally renounced their previous nationality, or provide proof of having renounced their previous nationality, in order to be granted Chilean naturalization [CHL39214.E]

Further to the information provided in the Constitution of Chile, CHL28170.E of 2 December 1997 and previous Responses, staff at the Embassy of Chile stated during 14 June 2002 telephone interviews that currently, a foreigner can normally request naturalization after residing in Chile for two years, although there can be exceptions.

No additional details on the formal procedures for naturalization in Chile that would be accurate for all years of possible naturalization and for all possible countries of origin of a foreigner seeking naturalization could be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum. Please find below the list of additional sources consulted in researching this Information Request.


Embassy of Chile, Ottawa. 14 June 2002. Telephone interviews with staff.

Additional Sources Consulted

Constitution of Chile.

Embassy and Consulate of Chile, Ottawa.

IRB Databases.

El Mercurio [Santiago]. Searchable archives.

Internet sites and search engines, including:

Government of Chile, Santiago.

Political Database of the Americas, Georgetown University, Washington DC.