The possibility for a Guatemalan to obtain a copy of his identity booklet (cédula de vecindad) without presenting himself personnally to the authorities; the possibility that the issued copy will not show the individual's fingerprints; and the possibility for a Guatemalan abroad to obtain a replacement copy via relatives in Guatemala with a power of attorney [GTM30534.E]

The following information was obtained during a 26 November 1998 telephone interview with the Consul and First Secretary of Guatemala at the Embassy of Guatemala in Ottawa.

The Consul stated that a person residing abroad can delegate another individual to request a copy of his cédula de vecindad at the civil registry (registro civil). He has to delegate this responsibility in a letter of consent stating clearly the name of the person who is going to pick up the copy for him or her. There is no legal requirement attached to the letter (it does not need to be approved by a lawyer). The Consul did not have information on the process of getting a copy of the fingerprints shown in the original cédula.

This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of Guatemala, Ottawa. 26 November 1998. Telephone interview with the Consul and First Secretary.